30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, February 10, 2018

That's a Negatory!


I'm currently building twenty-plus baseball card sets and one of them happens to be the 2013 Allen and Ginter Across The Years insert set.  A few days ago, Woody over at Card Collectors World sent me a direct message with a simple question... Do you still need the Pedroia in there?

It would make more sense if you understood the context of the question.  You see, Woody shipped me one of those medium size flat rate boxes a few weeks ago.  However I hadn't had the chance to tear into it, so I had no idea what Pedroia he was talking about.

I started thinking about all of the different collections I have and which ones the Red Sox second basemen would fit into.  Well today I finally got around to opening the box and discovered the card you see above.

Unfortunately... I purchased the Pedroia off of Sportlots back in early January, so Woody if you're reading this, the response to your question is...


But I really appreciate you looking out for me.  And I can definitely use all of the other cards you sent my way.

Shall we take a looksie?  Let's start with the contents of the box laid out nice and neatly:


What you're looking at is four sets, a couple of singles, and three boxes filled with cards.  Let's get things started with the sets:


Set #1:  1995 Classic Metallic Impressions Nolan Ryan


I'm a sucker for oddball issues, especially when they feature a hall of famer on embossed metal cards.  There was a brief period during the mid 90's when these metal cards were the rage.


Originally, I was going to put them with my other Nolan Ryan inserts and oddballs, but they were a little too thick and heavy to be stored in my binder.  So they'll be stored in their original tin.


Set #2:  2005 Bowman Chrome AFLAC Redemption


I had no idea who was in this set since I was out of the hobby back in 2005.  When I opened it up, I did recognized a few familiar names:  Hank Conger, Kyle Drabek, and Travis Snider.


Set #3:  1990 Pro Set Super Bowl Silver Anniversary


Okay.  This might be one of the most overproduced box sets in the history of football cards, but it's also one of the coolest.  I love early 90's Pro Set products and this set is no exception.  In fact that Bart Starr card is a masterpiece.


Set #4:  1997 Donruss Studio Portraits


I saved the best for last.  I know that some collectors don't like oversized cards, because of storage issues.  But I embrace them.  I've been a fan of these 8x10 Studio Portraits for years.  It's nice to finally own the complete set of 24 cards.  Here's a look at the Gwynn up close:



Next up are the three boxes filled with baseball and football cards for me and my students.  After pulling the cards out, I sorted them by team stacks:


I scanned just the tip of the iceberg:






In addition to these cards, he sent me a bunch of Ichiros for my collection.  I had scanned a 9-pocket page filled with my favorites, but I accidentally misplaced the scan.  If I find it, I'll share it in a future post.

Last, but not least... he sent me some really nice cards to share with my students:


Many of them were disappointed with their team this year, but I have a feeling they won't be disappointed with these.

Thank you Woody for this awesome care package!  I apologize it took so long for me to rip into it.  It was definitely worth the wait.  I don't have a lot of Boston stuff for you, but I have a permanent place in my trade box designated for you.  Until then... try to stay warm.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

7 comments:

SumoMenkoMan said...

Great care package!!

The Lost Collector said...

Loved those Studio Portraits, even though a pain to store.

Chris said...

Lots of great stuff in there! The Super Bowl set was one of my favorites as a kid. I was hoping Panini or another company would do a similar set for SB50, but it wouldnt be the same.

acrackedbat said...

nice! I have Ripken and Maddux Studio 8x10s taking up space. Still not sure what to do with these.

Bulldog said...

Lots of great cards and set. Fun to see some cards that bring back memories. Good stuff and I love the Super Bowl set. Just purchased it not too long ago and it was long overdue.

Man said...

I don't mind the oversize-the Topps 1985 are stunning-so are your Leafs

Fuji said...

SumoMenkoMan - Yes sir. Woody has donated a lot of PC items to my collection over the years. It's one of those situations where I probably will never be able to pay him back completely. But I'll try.

The Lost Collector - I know. I was bummed that I ran out of 8x10 top loaders. Ended up putting them in a giant magazine bag, which seemed to work.

Chris & Bulldog - I'll never be worth anything... but in terms of beauty... it's a truly underrated set.

Julie - If you store your player PC's in binders, you can throw these into 8x10 pages.

B Man - Yeah. It's a great looking set. The next time I hit up the wholesaler, I'm going to buy a box of 8x10 Ultra Pro pages and put this set in a binder for easy access.