30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Saturday Night Five: Totally 70's

I was born and raised in the 70's, but unfortunately didn't start collecting baseball cards until the early 80's.  My first packs of baseball cards that I can remember tearing into were 1981 Topps and 1981 Donruss.  The first set I owned?  1981 Fleer.

For most of the 80's, I collected whatever was released that year.  That trend continued pretty much through the 90's until I sold off the bulk of my collection in the early 2000's.  Sure I appreciated and enjoyed looking at vintage cards, but they never really fit into my budget.

It wasn't until I jumped back into the hobby in 2008 that I started to add cards from the 50's, 60's, and 70's to my collection.  Over the past nine years, I've slowly filled two binders worth of cheap vintage cards.

Tonight I'm responding to Tony's Day 11 Challenge:  One of your favorite cards from the 70's.

However I'm totally going to break the rules and post five of my favorites instead...

1971 Topps #118

1974 Topps #330

1975 Topps #625

1977 Topps #640

If you can't figure out what these four cards have in common, just ask Marshawn:


The final card on the list is probably the card I would have selected if I weren't such a rebel:

1976 Topps #564

Okay... it's your turn.

What are some of your favorite 70's cards?

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

4 comments:

defgav said...

Good picks! I might mention 72 Clemente, 74 Aaron #1, 71 Vida.

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

Funny I was just sorting through my 1980 Topps cards so the 80s were on my mind today. That Boog card is one of my favorites from the 75 set. And I picked up Kurt this year because of the 1975 theme. Some fine choices you've got here.

acrackedbat said...

I can't choose a specific card but any 72 or 75 design sends me back in time. I'm a child of the 70s too. Saturday Night Fever had a limited run last week. I took a friend and saw it on the big screen again. I truly miss those years.

Fuji said...

defgav - the clemente is one of my personal faves. if you're a vida blue guy, i'd also suggest his 72t action card and his 73t card. both are great action shots.

steve - for the money, the kurt card is a must have card for me. and the boog was the first card i though of with this post.

julie - i'm a big fan of the 1972 and 1975 designs as well. as for saturday night fever, i haven't watched it since the 80's. don't even remember if i liked it or not. good music though

cardboard jones - i think the 76 set would be my third favorite 70's set behind 72 and 75. there are a bunch of cool cards in that set: oscar gamble, dave parker, and the sal bando are just a few of my faves