30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Hobby Resolutions: Past and Present

In life, it's important for people to set boundaries and create guidelines to help us stay focus and motivated.  Last year, I came up with five resolutions in regards to our hobby to keep me in line.  Let's see how I fared:

#1:  Create a Monthly Hobby Budget and Adhere to It


Although I'm very good about living within my means and not buying things I can't afford, I never actually stuck to a monthly hobby budget.  Or if I did... I didn't do it for long.  On the other hand, I did open a special savings account for recreational spending, which includes things like vacations, holiday shopping, and hobby expenses.


Final Grade: C-



#2:  Purchase Five 1956 Topps Hall of Famers




I'll actually discuss this resolution a little more in Tuesday's post, but for now I'll just tell you that I didn't come close to reaching this goal.


Grade: D-



#3:  Resurrect my Annual Summer Contest


Epic fail.  I don't even think this entered my mind last summer, which is a shame.  This contest was always a lot of fun.  A lot of work too.  But bottom line... a lot of fun.  Maybe in 2017?  We'll see.


Grade: F



#4:  Pick Up One of These Topps Sets:  1973, 1974, or 1977



Finally... I succeeded with flying colors.  I picked up the 1977 Topps set for a project I'm currently working on at a card show for $80.  The 1973 and 1974 Topps baseball cards are the only two sets I need to complete my birth year through 1986 Topps set run.


Grade: A+



#5:  Have Fun, Continue Blogging, and Read More Blogs


The total number of posts I published declined for the fourth consecutive year and actually hit an all-time low.  Plus there were a few long periods where I was so busy, I didn't have time to read your posts either.  However... I was able to add a few new blogs to my reading list... and in terms of collecting, I did have a lot of fun.


Grade: B-


Normally I'd be very disappointed with a D+ average, but overall... I feel I did okay on my 2016 resolutions.  Could I have improved?  Of course.  But at the end of the day, I walked out of 2016 a pretty happy camper in terms of blogging and collecting.


As for my 2017 resolutions, I think I'm going to hold off on making any new ones.  My major goals for this upcoming year are to...


#1:  Maintain an average of 3 posts per week.

#2:  Continue reading your blog posts.
#3:  Pick up at least one 1956 Topps HOFer.
#4:  Continue to live within my means.
#5:  Have fun.

What about you?



Did you create any 2017 hobby resolutions for yourself?

I hope all of you enjoyed a safe New Year's Eve last night.  Happy New Years and sayonara!

9 comments:

Nachos Grande said...

All good goals for sure. I think we should all put "have fun" on our list! Happy New Year!

SumoMenkoMan said...

I'll be posting my 2017 goals soon. Thanks for a rundown of yours

night owl said...

My goal is the same every year: accumulate.

Billy Kingsley said...

I set 10 goals in 2016 and 6 in 2017. I will post my results and new challenges tomorrow. 2017's are kind of easy, and I expect to do them all, but it will take some effort.

Anonymous said...

have fun, YES!!!

being away from blogging this year made me really miss the hobby...it's much more fun sharing with like minded folks.

i really enjoy reading your blog and wish you best this year!

Man said...

Number 1 is my biggest challenge-but this year by god I will stick to a budget

GCA said...

Resolution #1 - Try to become a regular blogger.
#2 - Keep it down to a couple dealer orders or shows per month so I don't spend ALL my cash on my wantlists.
#3 - Help you kill your '74 set
#4 - Repeat #3 for a lot of other people and their sets too.

Pro Set Cards said...

That's a great list of goals and I'll be cheering for you to reach them all. I just want to get back to posting on a consistent basis and making trades with fellow collectors and most importantly getting a chance to comment on other people's posts. Happy New Year Fuji!

Fuji said...

nachos grande - it's the simplest and most important goal on my list.

r laughton -read them earlier in the week. great list

night owl - i like it. however i need to make it a little more specific. maybe something like "accumulate very specific cards"

billy - my father always told me to make my goals realistic, but challenging.

cardboard hogs - you too. i've really enjoyed reading your posts

brady - once upon a time, i set that goal for myself. i don't bother anymore. i'm just going to be responsible and collect in moderation

gca - thanks for the offer... but please pass those 74's to a collector who is actually building the set. i don't have the money or the patience to build it. i'll hold off and end up buying a completed set one day (or maybe never). who knows. best of luck on your 2017 goals

forestrydave - thanks! happy new years!