30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, May 9, 2015

The Impossible Task

At times... life can be so simple.  For example... choosing my favorite baseball card of all-time.  It's a no-brainer:

1956 Topps #30

It's vintage.  It's gorgeous.  And it features an iconic athlete that literally changed the sport.

On the other hand... life can be complex too.  For example... choosing two more baseball cards to round out my three favorite of all-time.

I immediately had two cards pop into my head, but then I sat down to write this post and thought about it.  Different cards from different categories started popping up.  Should it be a rookie card?  How about an autograph?  Maybe a relic or an oddball issue?

The more I though about it... the more overwhelmed this task of choosing my all-time favorite baseball cards became.  It evolved into the impossible task.

That's why I've decided to simplify Frankie's Simple Contest and focus on my three favorite rookie cards.  But before I begin, if you're interested in seeing other bloggers' responses, head over to his blog:  My Life In The Sports Card Hobby.  So far, I've seen responses from Mr. Zakwin, Mr. Underdog, Mr. Lost Collector, and The Commish.

I'm a huge fan of contests that involve blogger participation.  So what are you waiting for?  Go write about your three favorite baseball cards!  But before you do... check out mine:


#1 Favorite Rookie Card
1983 Topps #482

Are you surprised?  C'mon... Gwynn is my favorite player of all-time and 1983 Topps is one of my favorite sets.  If you're not impressed with this short response... I've explained my love for this card in the past.  Just click here.



#2 Favorite Rookie Card
1980 Topps #482

Rickey loves Rickey... and I do too.  Another Favorite Player + Solid Design + Great Action Shot = Second Favorite Rookie Card.  By the way... I can't believe it took me thirty-something years to realize my two favorite rookie cards share the same card number.



#3 Favorite Rookie Card
1990 Leaf #300

By now you should be seeing a pattern with my selections.  Great design?  Check.  One of my favorite players?  Hai.  Nice action shot?  Yup.  Third favorite rookie card?  You are correct, sir.

So there you have it.  My three favorite rookie cards.  One of these days I'll list my favorite autographs, memorabilia cards, inserts, oddballs, vintage cards, and parallels.  But for now... that's all folks.

Thanks for the cool contest Frankie!  It's been fun reading everyone's responses.  I look forward to reading more.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

9 comments:

CaptKirk42 said...

With almost anything that I like I have a difficult time coming up with a top favorites list. I have never really thought about my top 3 let alone top 5 or 10 cards of all-time.

Matt said...

Great top three especially the Jackie. That truly is a thing of beauty

Eric Bracke said...

Cool list!

Commishbob said...

That Jackie Robinson is amazing. What a card!

Man said...

There is something about the 1980-85 Topps I really enjoy. Perhaps it is when I became cognizant of cards other that some late '70s Topps. None the less solid choices my friend, solid choices.

defgav said...

Can't argue with that.. great picks!

Anonymous said...

Awesome cards, especially the Jackie! Although you do have to be a follower of my blog to be in the contest also, and I'm not sure if you are. Either way, thank you for joining!

Fuji said...

Yeah... it's easy to sort out what you like. But when it comes to the cream of the crop... it's hard to decide which ones to eliminate from your list.

Fuji said...

Me too. Those were my first years in the hobby... so they'll always have a special place in my collection.