30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Love 'em or Leave 'em

Manufactured patches.  Some collectors love them.  Others hate them.  As for me... I'm somewhere in between.  But the tides might be starting to shift in their favor, because last year I discovered the 2013 Topps Manufactured Rookie Card Patches.

As soon as I saw this card...


It was love at first sight.  From there, I started tracking down Rickey, Reggie, and Ozzie.  Eventually I decided to build the entire twenty-five card Series One set.  Last weekend, the final puzzle piece arrived in the mail and after over a year, I can finally cross this set off of my list.


Here's a look at the set in its entirety:

#1 Willie Mays and #2 Ernie Banks

Anyone else surprised that Topps left The Commerce Comet and Hammerin' Hank off of the checklist?  I guess technically speaking the 1952 Topps Mantle isn't his rookie card.  Then again... neither is the Mays.


#3 Roberto Clemente and #4 Sandy Koufax

One day I'd love to add a Clemente rookie card to my collection, but I'm afraid this will probably have to make do.  The same could be said for Koufax.


#5 Bob Gibson and #6 Willie McCovey

Now we're starting to get into the realm of my cardboard budget.  I'm still amazed that a decently conditioned Willie McCovey rookie card routinely sells for under a hundred dollars.  And if condition isn't too important... Gibson rookies can be found in that price range too.


#7 Reggie Jackson, #8 Ryne Sandberg, and #9 George Brett

Up until this part of the set, the checklist appeared in chronological order... but Sandberg seems to be a little bit out of place.


#10 Eddie Murray, #11 Ozzie Smith, and #12 Rickey Henderson

Topps seems to have gotten back on track with two of my favorite rookie cards:  The Wizard of Oz and The Man of Steal.


#13 Jim Palmer, #14 Tony Gwynn, and #15 Wade Boggs

But then they had to screw up the order again.  I won't complain too much.  It was nice to see Topps include all three major rookie cards from my favorite set from the 80's.


#16 Don Mattingly, #17 Darryl Strawberry, and #18 Dwight Gooden

Ah... the group of Hall of Very Good Players.  Back in the 80's these cards were definitely on everyone's hot list.  These days... not so much.  Instead of them... I would have preferred rookie cards any of the following: Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Mike Schmidt, Dave Winfield, Barry Bonds, Greg Maddux, or Ichiro Suzuki.  Heck I would have even been okay with Steve Carlton, Pete Rose, Nolan Ryan, or Tom Seaver... even though they feature multiple players.

#19 Ken Griffey Jr. and #20 Chipper Jones

Two more solid players.  Future hall of famers.  And hobby favorites.  It's a shame the 1989 Topps Traded Griffey has to live in the shadow of his Upper Deck counterpart, because it's a beautiful card.


#21 Derek Jeter and #22 Albert Pujols

Two more future hall of famers.  It's hard to believe that this is Jeter's final season.  I can't stand the Yankees... but I'm going to miss Mr. Jeter.


#23 Mike Trout, #24 Bryce Harper, and #25 Yu Darvish

Last, but not least are the up and comers.  Believe it or not, the Trout and Harper were the two most expensive cards in the set.  I paid around $10 each for them.  The rest of the cards set me back anywhere from $2 to $6 each.

Overall... the set cost me about $100 to build.  I'd love to build the 2013 Topps Update Rookie Commemorative Patch Set.  If I can find a reasonably priced starter lot, maybe I will.  As for now... I'm just happy to finally wrap this set up.

So what do you think?

Are manufactured patches your cup of tea?

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

13 comments:

Marcus said...

I don't really like manu patches. Haven't seen many designs I've liked, plus I like keeping cards in binders, and they don't fit well into pages. I have the Gwynn and Smith manupatches from this set though, and they look sweet. Got them before I got the *real* rookie cards, but I've since taken care of that.

Hackenbush said...

I'm middle of the road on them. Depends on the player. I was happy to pull that Koufax. I sold the Chipper. I liked the World Series and team logo patches from a few years ago and picked up a few.

Tony L. said...

I guess they are still new enough to me that I sort of like them. The problem is that Topps has the mantra that anything worth doing is worth overdoing so much and in so many parallels that no one can collect them all (like you have here).

I like to try to get them for my player collections, but only because I am an OCD completist.

Dennis said...

Congrats on finishing the set! That's not the type of card I'd be happy to pull in place of a real hit, but it's kind of a fun idea otherwise, minus the stupid inclusion of cards from just a few years ago!

Man said...

I am with ya Mark not sure how I feel about them-will I see you at the Serramonte (sic) card show in a few weeks? Look for a heavy set guy in a Cardinals' hat.

The Lost Collector said...

I'm indifferent. I like them, don't love them or hate them.

night owl said...

I stare at them like a confused dog.

BobWalkthePlank said...

They are growing on me. I refused to buy them for a long time, but started to turn once I received some in trade.

Swing And A Pop-up said...

Those I don't mind, but I don't like the ones that say "World Series Champions" or something like that.

Laurens said...

Holy crap - I wanted to do that set - congratulations on your achievement.

Ana Lu said...

I've never seen one of those in person..But they look great!
But I think I'd say I'd love them because they sure are good looking and great to have in collection.
Quite the achievement!

Fuji said...

I'll be there. I'll be the chubby Asian guy sifting through dime boxes ;-)

Fuji said...

It was a pretty fun project... challenging, yet attainable.