30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Totally Envious of Custom Card Creators

Custom cards rule.  I can even begin to count the number of times I've read blogs and wished I had the skills to create my own.  I've even spent an evening or two playing around with my photo editing software.  Alas... I've come to accept the fact that I was put on this planet to appreciate them... not create them.

This summer I read several issues of Baseball Cards, which often included their own custom cards.  I'm sure there's a fair amount of these floating around our community, but just in case... I figured I'd share a few of my favorites with you guys.


November 1989

This is what happens when you combine the 1959 Topps "rookie stars" design with the hottest rookie of 1989.  I absolutely love oddballs... but this card is on a level of its own.  I love the design.  I love that it's The Kid.  And I love that it's actually from his rookie year.  I'm actually trying to hunt down another copy of this issue, so I can cut it out and add it to the Griffey section in my binders.  It's a shame they didn't invest a little more time to match the backs to the originals.


May 1989

Next up is another 1959 Topps custom... only this time the subject is my favorite player.  Did you guys know that Gwynn was drafted by the San Diego Clippers?


January 1990

Here's a 1969 Topps custom of Mr. Padre.  I wonder why Baseball Cards Magazine decided to leave stats off of their customs.  Oh well... at least they added cool trivia.  I had no idea that Gwynn stole five bases in one game (vs. Houston on 9/20/86).


October 1987

This is easily my favorite custom out of the bunch.  I'm a huge fan of the 1951 Bowman design and the illustration they used of Bo is awesome.  This custom is truly a work of art.


April 1987

Finally I thought I'd share this 1983 Topps custom of Donnie Baseball.  I love it when people create cards that never were.  Back in 1987, I would have been stoked to add this card to my collection.  Mattingly was coming off one of his greatest seasons and was on everyone's hot list.  The front looks okay, but I wish they had left off the Topps All-Star Rookie Cup.  The back seems totally rushed, but at least BBM included stats this time.

I tip my hat to all of you who create and even print your custom cards.  Keep up the excellent work and know that there's at least one collector out there who envies you.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

6 comments:

Tony L. said...

I think Bob Lemke did those for BBC magazine, which was published out of Iola, Wisconsin. I own that Mattingly in its original panel with the 1983 Donruss mockup.

Mark Hoyle said...

B.Lemke. Makes great customs. I've bought a few from his site

JediJeff said...

Damn. Must have Bo.

GCA said...

Here's a few you haven't seen. http://thecollectivemind.blogspot.com/search/label/custom%20cards

The Baseball Card Snob said...

Check out this guy for customs, http://designondeck.blogspot.com/ I've already got dibs on him when I start my own card company

Ana Lu said...

I'm totally envious too!