30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Blog Trade #41: Off Hiatus Baseball Cards

I've been ordering Green Bay Packers Police Sets from Larry Fritsch Cards for a few years now and have most of the sets from 1998 to 2012.  One of these days, I hope to acquire all of the sets dating back to 1983 when they were first produced.

Thanks to Tony over at Off Hiatus Baseball Cards I now have one less set to track down.  He recently contacted me and offered up his 1984 set.  In return, he asked for some 1995 to 2007 Milwaukee Brewers cards.  

So on Saturday, I spent a solid hour digging through stuff and finally found enough cards to keep things fair.  Three days later, my set arrived.

It contains twenty-five cards and features a simple, attractive card design.  As with many police sets, the cards offer advice, rather than statistics.  Here's a look at one of my all-time favorite Packers:



I grew up following the Green Bay Packers, because my parents were fans.  So it's cool to see some really big names from the past.


We were all pretty excited to hear that the Packers traded for John Jefferson in the early 80's.  Paired up with Lofton, they were nice targets for Lynn Dickey.


I always thought that Mark Murphy the Packers safety... and Mark Murphy the Packers CEO were the same person.  Wrong.  But the card pictured above is the Packers' safety's first official trading card.


It's funny how certain players stick with you your whole life.  Bucky Scribner only played in Green Bay for two seasons and he was their punter, but I still remember his name.  I'm pretty sure this is my only Bucky card.


I'll wrap things up with Paul Coffman.  Ever since I started following the Packers, they've been solid at the tight end position.  Ed West, Mark Chmura, Bubba Franks, and Jermichael Finley have all been solid contributors to their offense... but the player I've always compared them to was Coffman.  The only person who kept him from being my favorite player as a kid was James Lofton.

Thanks Tony for offering to part with this very cool oddball set.  It sure brought back excellent memories.  I look forward to trading with you again in the future.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

6 comments:

Comatoad said...

Some very nice Packers cards and you can't go wrong with the green and gold! I also grew up a Packers fan, at the tail-end of the Lombardi era. One of our two dogs is even named, Lambeau.

Mark Hoyle said...

Nice looking set of cards

Tony L. said...

Glad you liked the set, Fuji. I wish I could forget Bucky Scribner some times!

Fuji said...

Very cool. The Lombardi era was a little before my time, but my parents had the opportunity to see him in action. They even attended the first two Super Bowls... sure wish they would have kept those ticket stubs.

Fuji said...

Lol... I guess I'm lucky. I don't even remember how good or bad he was... just remember hearing the name.

Fuji said...

Totally agree. I love the simplicity of it.