30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, June 10, 2013

Love @ 1st Sight

To be a champ, you have to believe in yourself when no one else will.

 1951 Topps Ringside #43

A few months ago, I came across this card over at Scott Crawford On Cards and knew instantly that I had to own a copy for my collection.

Ironically, I'm not a huge boxing fan.  In fact, I haven't really followed boxing on a regular basis since the days of Iron Mike.

But do yourself a favor and take a few seconds to look over this amazing cardboard specimen.  It's over sixty years old, has a simple, yet awesome card design, and features one of the greatest boxers to ever enter the ring.

Robinson went 85-0 as an amateur and won his first 40 fights as a professional.  On February 5th, 1942... he lost his first professional fight to Jake Lamotta.  After that he fought ninety-one more times over the next eight years before he lost again.

When he finally hung up his gloves in 1965 at the age of forty-four, his professional boxing record stood at:  173 wins, 108 knockouts, 19 losses, 6 draws, and 2 no contests.  Out of his 19 losses, 15 occurred after 1956.

Impressive, right?  That's why I had no problem dropping $23.50 for this awesome card.

What about you...

Have you ever seen a card and knew instantly that you had to own it?

If so... what card was it?  What impressed you about the card?  Have you purchased it?

Happy Monday and sayonara!

10 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

The 1971 Munson play at the plate...and no, I still don't have one. That's some sweet vintage cardboard Fuji.

jacobmrley said...

This still happens to me all the them, I am all id and impulse. It happened on this very site the other day, when I saw the Taro Tsujimoto card. I am still wrestling with a $12 offer for one on COMC.

Fuji said...

Nice choice. Definitely a sight to see.

Fuji said...

That's a pretty solid price. They've gone for a little lower on eBay... but they go for more too. Haven't crunched the numbers, but I'd say the average sale price is between $12 and $15 w/shipping factored in.

Greg Zakwin said...

Campy's 1950 Bowman.

http://plaschkethysweaterisargyle.blogspot.com/2011/02/1950-bowman-roy-campanella-acquired.html

Commishbob said...

Absolutely! Many times in fact. The last two were the '57 Charlie neal that I think I spotted on Night Owl's blog. And before that was the 1960 Wes Covington. Both just struck me a beautiful cards.

And I have some of those '51 Ringsides. I love that set. If I hit the lottery that set would be one of my first purchases. Just great stuff. You really landed a nice one, too. Way to go!

Fuji said...

Yeah... you got a steal on the Campy. BTW... the 65 Koufax/Drysdale is has climbed into my top 10 wantlist.

Fuji said...

I'll have to check out the 57 Charlie Neal. I'll send out my positive vibes, so you can hit the lotto. Having a complete set of 51 Ringsides would be awesome!

Spankee said...

I actually have a post on my experience with what I describe as a card you CAN'T NOT buy.

http://mycardboardmistress.blogspot.com/2012/05/every-now-and-then-card-comes-along.html

The Hokiebird patch is the perfect card for my VT collection.

Fuji said...

Those are awesome! I just put an offer on the Oski (CAL's mascot). Hopefully, he'll accept.