30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Who are these guys?

Yesterday, the speeches from Canton's newest additions taught me a couple of new things...


A. There's still so much for me to learn about some of football's greatest players. I'm embarrassed to say that I had never heard of Les Richter, Chris Hanburger, or Ed Sabol.


B. Although I've known for a long time that Deion Sanders is one of the greatest shut-down corners in the history of the game and that he's also one of the most arrogant players to ever run onto the field... yesterday I learned... that he did it all for his mama.


C. I knew he was a good broadcaster and an amazing football player... but his speech yesterday showed the world that... Shannon Sharpe is one cool brother.


And it reminded me of a few things too...


A. Music doesn't have to come from The Beastie Boys, Michael Jackson, Metallica, The Police, Bob Marley, or Biggie Smalls to be cool... NFL Films has some of the coolest music out there. Thank you Mr. Sabol.


B. Although they're arch-rivals of my favorite team and it pains me to say this... Richard Dent and the 1985 Chicago Bears were truly dominating and quite possibly the greatest teams assembled in my lifetime.


C. If Marshall Faulk was on your fantasy football team from 1998 to 2001... you were probably your league's champion.


D. I'd much rather be "humble" than "conceited" any day of the week.

E. I need to hurry up and frame these photos that I recently purchased from Inside Sports, so I can hang them up in my office.


Today's Question of the day:

Who will be enshrined in Canton next year?

Here are my picks:




It's time Mr. Carter and Mr. Reed receive the credit they deserve... and Mr. Brown will round things out... making it the year of the Wide Receiver.

I very much dislike the Dallas Cowboys and the San Francisco 49ers... therefore, I've never been much of a Mr. Haley fan. However he won five rings with those teams... went to five Pro Bowls... two First Team All-Pro... and recorded 100.5 career sacks. In short... he was a monster.

Last... but not least... Mr. Martin may not meet the superstar requirements for Canton... but he makes up for it in durability and numbers.

Well... that's all folks... but before I leave...

Congratulations Mr. Dent, Mr. Faulk, Mr. Hanburger, Mr. Richter, Mr. Sabol, Mr. Sanders, and Mr. Sharpe on your NFL Hall of Fame enshrinement!

Everyone else... enjoy your Sunday... and sayonara!

2 comments:

Baseball Nut said...

Those are all good candidates but I think you also have to throw Will Shields and Bill Parcells into the mix. Martin almost made it this year so I think he is in 2012.

I have a few Chris Hamburger cards. He made it in along with Richter on a large veterans vote.

Fuji said...

baseball nut - both shields & parcells are excellent choices... always seem to forget coaches and offensive linemen.