30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Set Showcase #12: 2011 Topps Green Bay Packers Super Bowl XLV Set


Seven Sundays ago... the Green Bay Packers defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers and won Super Bowl XLV. This victory was sweet on so many levels... but here are my top 5 reasons:

#1 - The Green Bay Packers are my favorite football team and it's been over a decade since they lost to John Elway and the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXXII. It was well worth the wait.

#2 - Aaron Rodgers & the Packers won it without #4.

#3 - The Packers pulled off the miracle season. They endured injury after injury... by the time they reached the big game... 15 players were placed on injured reserve. In reality... they barely made the playoffs. After their loss to the New England Patriots in week #15, they needed to win their last two games against the New York Giants and the Chicago Bears to secure the final playoff spot. It's the kind of season they make movies about.

#4 - They beat the Chicago Bears two times in four weeks. I don't dislike the Bears as much as the Vikings... but it sure was nice to see them shut down their division rival.

#5 - The Packers avenged the Seahawks loss to the Steelers in Super Bowl XL. The Seahawks are my other favorite team... and I won't be a baby and complain about the officiating in the game... but let's just say... it was awesome to see the Steelers lose. It was even better to hear a few Steeler fans complain about the officials.

I know it's still fresh in my head, so I'm a little biased when I say that it was the greatest season I've ever witnessed. But... it's truly how I feel at the moment. I was able to watch at least 50% of the Packers and Seahawks games thanks to the internet, which made me feel closer to the game. Plus... both of my teams were in the playoffs this year... how sweet is that?

So... when I found out on Sports Card Radio's Forum that Topps was going to create a set to commemorate the Green Bay Packers Super Bowl victory, I knew I had to get my hands on the set.

Well... today it arrived and so I apologize for back to back Set Spotlight posts... but I just couldn't wait to post it up.

Set: 27 cards (11 offensive players, 8 defensive players, 1 team card, and 8 cards that summarize their season)

Green Bay Packers Offense



Obviously, Topps chose the Super Bowl MVP to be the first card in the set. In addition to Aaron Rodgers, they had all of his key receivers. Plus they added rookie cards of James Starks and Andrew Quarless... and my first card of John Kuhn. It was nice to see Topps honor Jermichael Finley with a card too. He may not have played in the big game... but he was one of the many reasons they were there.


Green Bay Packers Defense


Kudos to Topps again for including all of the key players who helped them reach and win the Super Bowl. Clay Matthews was a beast this year and Charles Woodson continued to be their leader on the field. A.J. Hawk showed everyone why it was a blessing that he wasn't traded earlier in the season... while young players like B.J. Raji and Sam Shields made names for themselves around the NFL.

I'm not sure why they mixed an offensive linemen in with the defense... but Chad Clifton was card #20 in the set.

Team Card




Green Bay Packers Playoff Summary

Wild Card: Green Bay Packers 21 @ Philadelphia Eagles 16


Divisional Playoffs: Green Bay Packers 48 @ Atlanta Falcons 21


NFC Conference Championship: Green Bay Packers 21 @ Chicago Bears 14



Super Bowl XLV: Green Bay Packers 31 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers 25

The NFL lockout might be bumming a lot of fans out... but honestly... I'm still flying high reminiscing this amazing season. In fact... now I've set my sights on another Super Bowl set. I'm looking to pick up the Green Bay Packers set that Panini produced just prior to the big game. They also made a Steelers and Cowboys set... but I could care less about them. Just give me some more Green & Yellow.

Happy Saturday everyone... enjoy the rest of your weekend. Sayonara!

3 comments:

the sewingmachineguy said...

Hey Fuji, where does one get one's hands on such a set?

John Bateman said...

I like that they used actual photos from the playoffs for the set.

Fuji said...

thesewingmachineguy - I bought it from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390295503850&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123#ht_3078wt_910

I offered him $16 for two sets and he accepted... plus I paid $1.75 for shipping... so $17.75 for two sets delivered, which is less than the SRP. As of this morning he still had two sets remaining.

John Bateman - I totally neglected to mention that... but you're right. Kudos to Topps for their awesome photo selection.